September 11, 2008

NO MORE VICTIMS!

Statement by Firoz Ali ALIZADA on behalf of CMC to the Third Review Conference of the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons Geneva, 8 November 2006

The Cluster Munition Coalition has asked me to introduce myself very briefly. My name is Firoz Ali Alizada, from Afghanistan. I was born near Bamyan province of Afghanistan and am 24 year old now. I am working for Handicap International in Afghanistan as the deputy country director.When I was a 12 year old, student in secondary school, I was taking shortcut on the last day of school and crossing a small mountain, when I stepped on an antipersonnel mine, the result was that I lost both of my legs above and below the knees and wounded my left hand.

This tragedy happened during the Taliban regime, while the lives of millions of people were in serious risk. After months of surgery and seven operations, ICRC provided me with prostheses which enabled me to walk and continue my life as a contributing member of the community as other people.I graduated from high school when I was a refugee in Pakistan, and in 2002 when the Taliban regime collapsed, I turned to Kabul.

Since that time I have been campaigning against cluster munitions, antipersonnel mines, as well as for the rights of persons with disabilities and assisting victims.Since 2003, I have been deeply involved in national and international events and campaign against mines and cluster munitions. As a mine victim, working with victims of cluster munitions in my country on a daily basis, I have witnessed the terrible effects of cluster munitions, and I definitely consider that cluster munitions have exactly the same effects on civilians than antipersonnel landmines.

The devastating humanitarian and social impact of landmines and cluster munitions are well known. They have killed thousands of innocent men, women and children around the world. But if landmines are banned by 151 countries so far, what about cluster munitions?In recent years in Afghanistan and very recently in Lebanon, the humanitarian and social impact of cluster munitions shocked the world.

Even though the campaign has been going on for years, the tragedy of cluster munitions is still increasing.How long will these tragedies continue to kill innocent people, and destroy and collapse infrastructures around the world? How long will the civilians have to suffer from these inaccurate and unreliable weapons? How long will the children remain deprived of schools because of the risk of cluster munitions and landmines? How long will the diplomatic discussions be continued without achieving the main goal which is safety of civilians?In order to solve this global humanitarian crisis, prevent future disaster and save the lives and livelihoods of millions of people, the only solution is a new treaty on cluster munitions as soon as possible.

In the closing, I have traveled all the way from Kabul full of hope that you will seize the opportunity this two weeks to make a real difference in the lives of innocent civilians like myself.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for the comment